Thursday, July 5, 2007

My Own Dreamlands

I know I've told some people that my next blog would be another installation of the Dreamlands and I will only be partially wrong. This is a blog about dreams, but it has very little to do with Alana or the "creepy guy with long fingers" as one of my readers has dubbed him. Actually what I have to write about today is my own messed up dream land. Lately I've been having exceedingly vivid dreams, which just means I'm not getting very deep sleep towards the end of my sleep cycle, but it has compelled me to write a blog about the various dreams; one in particular.

It had a very Dreamland-esque feel to it (which isn't all that off since I did create the Dreamlands). In the dream I knew I had been there before and I knew what was going on in the players (aka people in my dream) lives. Now, I must explain something first because my dreaming experiences may be considerably different from yours. I dream in third person. It's never me actually taking part in the dreams. Sometimes I'm above the whole scene taking place beneath me and sometimes I'm following one person very closely. Sometimes its a guy sometimes its a girl, i guess it just depends on who the major player is in my dream. I also tend to be able to manipulate my dreams to my liking. Not always, but sometimes I am awake just enough to change things for the better. It's a lot like playing God in the Dreamworld, but I guess it's more like being the writer of a story when it comes down to it. Me dreaming is much like me writing. Sometimes the story unravels itself to me and sometimes I alter it to my liking and I haven't written in first person since I was in elementary which is about when I stopped dreaming in third person as well.

Back to my dream and the whole point of this blog: The woman I was hovering by in this dream was seated in a living room type setting that was familiar.... not to me, but to the woman. So I assume it was either her home or a family member's home. The woman was agitated and worried about something, but I couldn't tell what was wrong until someone else entered the room. The man had to be close to seven feet tall although it may have just appeared that way since the woman was seated in a pretty low slung chair. Either way the man was tall and thin, but very muscular and dark. I knew he was Native American much like the woman and probably related to the woman somehow. He was a very good looking man, but he seemed to be upset, more so than the woman I was with. He looked down at the woman and said, "I love the lady and the boy, but it's about time he died." Sounds odd right? Not to me, though. It made perfect sense because I knew his son was on death row and he had a execution date set up very soon. Apparently the whole family had known this day was coming which explained the agitation in the woman. When the dream ended I felt nothing, but relief from all the characters. As though now they wouldn't be held in suspense about what was going to happen. Odd and vivid and nothing comes to mind of what would have spurred a dream like this. I think it stuck in my head so well because I felt like I had dreamt about these people before and I knew what they had been waiting to hear, but I can't recall ever dreaming of this before a couple nights ago. It reminded me so much of my Dreamlands and the idea of deja vu.

My most vivid dream to date was the slave ship. This recent slew of vivid dreams made me think back to the other dreams that stand out in my mind and still I come back to the slave ship. In this one I was with a man, a slave. All the slaves were on the deck of the ship as opposed to down below (which is where they would have really been kept, I'm sure). They were all huddled together because it was raining on them and it was very cold. Most of the slaves were nude as well. My guy was clinging onto another slave, a woman and he was trying to reassure her that everything would be okay. When I backed away from my guy a little bit I noticed the ground was soft because most of the other slaves had already died and they were sitting on top of all the bodies. Disturbing, right? Don't ask me why i dream these things. There was noting to spur this dream either.

Last night's dream was also very clear to me, but it had a lot of strange things happening based on science fiction/fantasy stuff. People flying and disappearing and I'm assuming was generated from the trilogy I'm reading about "Others". So, I'm not really going to go into that except to say I was able to control what was going on in this dream and turned everything for the better before I woke up.

So, maybe this dream journal wasn't what you were looking forward to in my next blog, but if you ever wonder where I get my bizarre dreams just refer back to this blog. A lot of my stories make their debut in my own dream-land.