Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Punctuality

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR SOME PEOPLE?

That should probably be my whole blog right there because that is what it all boils down to. Why is it so hard for some people to be on time or to maintain the plans that they made? No, I haven't actually had a recent exposure to one of these rude people, but I have had plenty of exposure over the years. It's a habit that has always irked me, but especially in the workplace. There is no reason for a person to be late to work on a regular basis and most of the time there is no reason for a person to ever be late (without at least a quick call to inform someone else). Remember that old saying that I know at least one of your bosses said to you? "Fifteen minutes early is on time, on-time is fifteen minutes late and late is inexcusable." Although it's annoying I completely agree. If you are scheduled to work at eight you should be working, on the clock at eight. You shouldn't just be ambling through the door, hanging your coat up, putting your purse away, making a cup of Joe, et cetera. You are supposed to be doing whatever it is you do. Now, you're probably arguing in your head that sometimes there's traffic and sometimes there's rain and snow and all sorts of obstacles to get in your way an make you late...... blah, blah, blah.... if there is four feet of snow and you can't move your vehicle I can understand you, but traffic? rain? flurries? Give me a break. You should allow for stuff like that. I do. I live in the same place and I manage to show up on time..... what's your excuse now? Thankfully, everyone in my current office has the same mentality as I do. Everyone is a few minutes early and everything runs a little smoother because of that. Sure, we have our mess ups every now and again, but I'd give everyone a dollar if one of my co-workers didn't call or text someone to say, 'hey, I'm stuck-- I'll be a few minutes late. Let everyone know'. I would still have all my dollars in tact by the end of the year.
Next on my punctuality attack will be those people that are consistently late for non-work activities. You know, the uncle you tell to show up to Thanksgiving dinner at four even though no one else will be there until five. Yep, that person. Are you brain dead? Seriously? Dinner's over and you still have a few people showing up.... Oh, did we forget that the whole daylight savings thing that happened four months ago? Damn! We should have told you about that. Or what about the friend that tells you they will be by after work so you can go shopping and you read a whole book between the time she told you that and the time she calls to tell you she fell asleep...... what? You said you were coming over right after work. How the hell did you fall asleep?
The one that gets to me the most these days is the patients (I hope you have all remembered that i work for a doctor). Patients who are scheduled for surgery and just don't show up. It's not like you really forget when you you're about to be sliced into. This morning I had to call a patient to see where she was. "Oh, I'm just pulling into the parking lot." Oh, I see. Isn't that something you should have been doing 10 minutes ago when you were scheduled? Surgery! Don't keep someone who will be putting holes in your body waiting. They get cranky and you really don't want extra holes. I send people reminders constantly. You need to be here by: ____. It's not like I leave them in the dark. My favorites are always the people who show up on the wrong day too. "My little card says July 30." "Yes, sir. Today would be the 31st." "No, that's not right." I assure you it is. I had a patient show up two weeks late yesterday. Apparently she wanted to come in with her friend as opposed to when she was actually scheduled. Oh, no, you don't need to call and let us know stuff like that. We will just accommodate your stupidity.
Clocks are everywhere people. By your bedside, on the computer, on the T.V., on your phone, and shockingly enough you can even get one to latch onto your wrist so you can carry time around with you everywhere you go. So, once again, why is it so difficult for some people?