Thursday, October 11, 2007

What is a bookshelf for, again?

I just saw a bit on the Today show that annoyed me. Oh there's a shock, something's annoying Courtney again. The bit was titled "how to decorate a bookshelf" which doesn't sound as ridiculous as it really was. It was how to place items on your book shelf to make it look as pretty as possible, which meant adding useless decorative boxes and bowls that serve absolutely no purpose. Why does this annoy me? Hmm, let me explain:

The purpose of a bookshelf is to place your books on it, right. You can order them however you see fit (I personally normally put books on my shelves according to size, but whatever you fancy is fine). What a book shelf doesn't need is useless crap that is just going to block my way to getting to my books. I don't need a bowl of potpourri sitting on some of my books that I laid sideways because they were to big to put upright. My books don't need to smell like country apples or fresh linen no matter how much i like those smells. I also don't need fabric colored boxes taking up precious book space. I have many books, all of which I would like to get to should I choose to read them again.

My bookshelf is not there to please your eyes, its there to hold my books. If books aren't pleasing to your eyes just the way there are then why the hell do you have a book shelf at all? I actually need several more book shelves for all the books I have and I don't plan on squandering any of my space on a decorative misshapen bowl just to make my guest visually appeased.

In other words, kiss my butt you silly decorative bowl people!!!!